This prayer corner gives one the opportunity to do small deeds of sacrifice from food and save money to be given for a good cause.
Equipment: Blank paper, pens, pencils or colours
Related to Liturgy: World Mission Sunday
Have you ever watched TV and seen clips showing children like yourself suffering from food shortage and hunger? Have you ever heard stories of children who would like to go to school but cannot afford it? To celebrate the day of charity, we will be sacrificing some of what we have to help others throughout the week.
- Divide the paper in two and draw seven horizontal lines.
- Write the seven days of the week on the left-hand side and stick the paper somewhere in a common area where everyone can see it.
- Explain to the family that everyone should refrain from something during this week – eat dessert less, eat a simpler meal, a chocolate bar less.
- With each passing day, tick the day and place the money saved in a jar or a money box.
- At the end of the week, as a family, count the money and place it in an envelope and donate it
- to the Missionary Office on Missio Day.
- Every day of the week, pray for all those who lack basic needs and pray for the world to become more open-hearted for the needs of others.